Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Machiavellian Prince and Princess

So, today I want to give a shout out to the Prince Of Evil, the founder of our modern political world, Niccolo Machiavelli. Machiavelli wrote The Prince in 1513. With his book, Machiavelli redefined politics by freeing politics from anything outside of the political itself. He set a new standard that the ends justify the means. Machiavelli turned our world around and he is still inspiring Machiavellian princes and princesses today.

"It is better to be feared than loved. Fear you can control; love, never." - NIccolo Machiavelli



Let's examine a Machiavellian Princess and Prince.

Our Machiavellian princess is none other than Blair Waldorf.

Basically Blair's character is taken right out of The Prince itself. She is an upper east side Machiavellian princess dressed up in pearls, curls, and of course her famous crowns - headbands.

I'm the best of the best. I'm Blair Waldorf.

I'm not a stop along the way. I'm a destination. And if you refuse to come, I'm gonna need to find a replacement ... girls, waiting list?

Haven't you heard? I'm the crazy bitch around here.

Destiny is for losers. It's just a stupid excuse to wait for things to happen instead of making them happen.

If you really want something you don't stop for anyone or anything until you get it.

The most important parties to attend are the ones you are not invited to.

You need to be a cold queen.

Don't worry I can be bitch enough for the both of us.

Signs are for the religious, the superstitious and the lower class. I don't believe in them and neither should you.

I adore all of God's creatures and metaphors that they inspire but those butterflies have got to be murdered.

Once men have tasted caviar it baffles me how they settle for catfish.

I have to present myself as crown jewel, surround by slightly smaller, flawed gems, but quality stones none the less.

Was thinking total social destruction.

I'm not maternal, I've just been spending too much time with Cyrus and I'm turning Jewish.

Damn that mother chucker.

Revenge. Best served cold.

You can't make people love you, but you can make them fear you.

Clearly someone read The Prince at Constance Billard School.



Okay, our next subject may actually be a bit more interesting than Blair (as much as we love our Queen Bee). Our Prince is Robert McNamara. He was the Secretary of Defense, serving under Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson.

"LeMay said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." And I think he's right. He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win?" - Robert McNamara

So McNamara really brings home Machiavelli's point about the ends justifying the means. You will really understand my point if you watch this YouTube. TRUST ME! This stuff is SUPER interesting. You HAVE to watch it! Tell me what you think!

Was I right? That clip was great! So, you should for sure watch the whole documentary - it is called Fog of War!

Here is the Link: http://www.sonyclassics.com/fogofwar/

So, that concludes my shout out to the Prince of Evil and his two humble followers. Got to love finding Machiavellian principles at work.



WARNING SPOILER ALERT:DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE LAST EPISODE OF GOSSIP GIRL So, on a more serious note .... if anyone was wondering what I think about Dan Humphrey as Gossip Girl .. I absolutely love it. I couldn't have asked for a more PERFECT Gossip Girl. It turns the whole series about some creepy blogging girl into a story about creating yourself through both positive and negative gossip. To create yourself in the world it takes publicity and negative publicity will still turn you from a lonely boy to someone who is part of the action. Think about Miley Cyrus and Brittney Spears - they cut off all their hair to look like a British Man just so they could get negative gossip, and guess what - it makes them famous. All that matters is that you are talked about and I love that Dan Humphrey understood that and was pulling the strings the whole time.



So definitely share with me your thoughts about Machiavelli, Blair Waldorf, Dan Humphrey, and of course Robert McNamara.

"Men ought either to be indulged or utterly destroyed, for if you merely offend them they take vengeance, but if you injure them greatly they are unable to retaliate, so that the injury done to a man ought to be such that vengeance cannot be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

2 comments:

  1. Love Machiavelli and Gossip Girl. Hate Dan, very non realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. But here is my question Kels, was Dan Gossip Girl in the books? Or did they just choose Dan to be G.G. at the last second??

    ReplyDelete